Hello!

April 18, 2011


I'm kind of obsessed with this song right now, but can you blame me? Here in Germany, the media and advertisers pick up on new songs and use them like they're going out of style. I've only heard this on the radio or seen it on VIVA once or twice, but ads and televisions spots are promoting with it like crazy. Needless to say, it's gotten stuck in my head and I can't get it out.

American media does this with new music as well, but as of late, they tend to get stuff that's really under the radar and use it in really awesome and fitting ways. I don't think Germany's marketers are quite so savvy. Case in point: Right now, ProSieben television station is using Rihanna's 'S&M' song to promote it's line-up of programming, including The Simpsons and Two and a Half Men. Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem with sex or s&m, even on daytime television, but I'm left wondering exactly how it relates to these programs. 

It's like German marketers listen in on their teenagers, hear whatever song they're listening to and slap it into a promo. C'mon guys, it takes a little more work than that! Perhaps I need to fast-track my German language skills, if only so I can get a job in marketing (which is what I did in a previous life in America) and show these folks how it's done. 


*Daily Drop Cap by Jessica Hische