My new favorite castle

September 24, 2012


When I first saw a picture of Schloss Lichtenstein (not actually in Liechtenstein, but in Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg) on Pinterest, I knew immediately that I wanted to go there. Once I realized that it was a mere few hours away, I was even more eager to make it happen. Lucky for me, our drive to Milan last week allowed for a short (okay, a few hour) detour to see it. It was everything I expected from the photo and more.

Driving up, we first spied the castle way above us on the ridge. The long, winding drive informed us of the spectacular views that were to come. Once there, we found the surrounding buildings are also impressive, with their castle-like details and ivy-covered walls. But getting to the actual Schloss, with it's sweeping views and towering presence over the valley, is nothing short of breathtaking. It almost appears as though the castle was carved out of the massive rock it sits on, as if it were a natural part of the landscape. I've never seen anything else quite like it.

We always sarcastically lament on our road trips, or even just on weekend drives around the area: "Ugh. Another castle," as they are literally around every bend. I suppose that joking sentiment has started to take root in reality much in the way that sunny days in California are taken for granted when they are so abundant. Sure, they are all beautiful, but this one, this one was spectacular.




















Daily Drop Cap by Jessica Hische